Safeguarding the future of the river Usk.
Gwent Angling Society Open Skills Day: 8 June
Gwent Angling Society 2019 open skills day!
Gwent Angling Society once again has an Open Day at Ty Mawr on Saturday 8th June 2019. All are welcome. A variety of activities are available for those that attend, even for people who aren’t anglers!
- Knowledgeable guides, who fish and teach on the river, will be demonstrating and explaining fishing and casting techniques in both single handed and double handed fishing. Following these, you will have the opportunity to fish with coaching and advice on hand.
- In addition, there will be classes on country life skills where you will learn some of the flora and fauna with our own “Bears Grylls” survival expert Harry Ellaway from the Bushcraft Initiative.
- Learning about insects (entomology understanding) and fly choice is at the heart of successful trout fishing. Match the hatch with Dave Collins and select the right fly for the river conditions. Dai Roberts from “Bugs Life” will be available to ask about the scientific side of aquatic flies and view them on the microscopes.
- Fly Tying gurus Paul Lawrence, Gareth Lewis and Paul Slaney will be giving tuition and advice throughout the day. This will be supplemented with a fly dressing clinic where vices and all materials will be available for you to have a go.
- Loop’s UK distributer, Mark Patterson will be on hand to give you the opportunity to try their latest gear and give helpful advise on all your fishing needs.
- Do you need to brush up on your casting skills? Have a go at casting? Do you have the right set up for you? No matter your level of experience, GAIA trained coach/instructors will be available to help.
Admission entrance is £40 (£35 for members). Free for under18s. Non-anglers can purchase a food voucher (£15). Admission ticket price includes a BBQ with free tea/coffee available.
Early bird tickets are now available at £35 (£30 for members) £10 for a food only voucher, if you book your place by 1st May!
It’s going to be a fantastic day — please book your ticket and guarantee your place! – Go to https://gwentanglingsociety.co.uk